Are your eyes tired from all the lines of numbers? Are you scrolling too much? Excel can zoom to fit your window.
- Highlight the section you are reviewing.
- Get the pulldown for the zoom, and choose Selection.
- Ta Da! A perfect fit!
What if the area is so big that you can’t scroll with the mouse without losing control? Then, use the keyboard to select.
- Click in the last cell in the bottom right corner that you want in your selection. I even go one column and one row past my last cell to give little right-hand and bottom margins to the work.
- Cmd-Shift Up Arrow and Cmd-Shift Left Arrow. (Ctrl-Shift, if using a PC.)
Repeat, if necessary. Depending on your data layout, one Up or Left may not be enough to get to Row 1 or Column A. If you have a lot of blank rows/columns in your layout, you could just hold the Cmd-Shift Up/Left Arrow until Row 1/Column A is highlighted.
- Everything from your last cell to Cell A1 is now selected.
- Without clicking in the worksheet (which would de-select your selection), click the pulldown for the zoom, and choose Selection.
Bookmark this tip, you’re going to wonder where you read it when you get ready for income taxes!