Word tries to help you by automatically formatting hyperlinks and email addresses with clickable links in blue underlined text. For documents that will be used electronically, this can be handy. For documents going to print, this can create clutter.
Turn Off an Individual Hyperlink
- Right-click the link
- Choose Hyperlink from the popup menu
- Choose Edit Hyperlink from the secondary popup menu
- Click the Remove Link button
- Repeat for every link you want removed from the document
Turn Off AutoFormatting for Hyperlinks
To turn off automatic hyperlinks for future text/copy, you’ll need to remove that option from your preferences.
- From your menu bar, choose
Word > Preferences (MacOS) or
Tools > Options (Windows)
- Within Authoring and Proofing Tools, select AutoCorrect
- Select AutoFormat As You Type
- In the “Replace as you type” section, uncheck “Internet and network paths with hyperlinks”
- Click OK